The goal of this professional learning is to train Fourth Grade classroom teachers to implement the unit’s lessons with students. The unit is aligned with the following Washington State Science Learning Standards (WSSLS):
- 3-5-ETS1-1 – Define a simple design problem reflecting a need or a want that includes specified criteria for success and constraints on materials, time, or cost.
- 4-ESS1-1 – Identify evidence from patterns in rock formations and fossils in rock layers to support an explanation for changes in a landscape.
- 4-ESS2-1 – Make observations and/or measurements to provide evidence of the effects of weathering or the rate of erosion by water, ice, wind, or vegetation.
- 4-ESS2-2 – Analyze and interpret data from maps to describe patterns of Earth’s features.
- 4-ESS3-2 – Generate and compare multiple solutions to reduce the impacts of natural Earth processes on humans.
- 4-PS4-1 – Develop a model of waves to describe patterns in terms of amplitude and wavelength and that waves can cause objects to move.
Important Session Information:
Attendees should bring: laptop or chrome book to access digital resources